Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Media...

In my college lit class, we had a discussion about gender. One of the topics brought up was about media affecting females. I found that some of the things mentioned were true, however I found that some of it wasn't quite as true. I think it's tough for some while going through puberty, because there's a constant pressure to look a certain way. I went through that myself when I was younger, but it wasn't long before I got over it and decided to be myself. I disagreed with the fact that every girl who didn't follow the "media's" expectation of being the "ideal" woman would lead to becoming an outcast. I think as long as you're confindant with who you are, that will show, and other people will sense your confidence as well.

The media itself, is everywhere. I think if people realize you don't have to follow it to be "beautiful", they'd be more happy, and less pressure would be put upon people especially girls.
The image of being tall, and thin is seen as ideal, but if the whole world was like that, would our world be as unique as it is? To me, It would be boring. So embrace the uniquness that we all have. To me that's the beauty in the world.

4 comments:

Morgan said...

I love your blog and I think what you had to say was completely true because I think you can be yourself without being considered an outcast. And I love the part where you mentioned if we were all the same, no one would be unique and I think your so right because then our world would just be boring.

Marisa said...

This blog is so true. Once you get in High School you become more yourself and what you where and stuff just expresses who you are. It would just be better if more girls found that out sooner rather than later.

AGray said...

You couldn't have been more right about this Shauna. If everyone were tall and thin I would go crazy!! Media sucks. The way the world portrays the 'beautiful' girl is ridiculous. They make girls want to look and act a certain way, buy and wear certain things. Although in rebuttal to that, they do a darn good job at what they do. Even though it's disgusting and horrifying.

Great Blog. Bye!!

Mr. Kunkle said...

Thoughtful post, Shauna, and good comments. It would seem like y'all are saying that you can "escape" the media's glare and saturation. The documentary we watched today seems to take an opposite stance, saying that we're so much bombarded with these media images, it becomes who we are. How does "Killing Us Softly" fit into these ideas?