Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Finding My Own Confidence

In my College Lit class, we had a discussion on times when one didn't fit in.
Something like that happended to me when I was in third grade.



It all started...when I got my hair cut.
My hair extended down to my lower back and was cut above the shoulders.
I had no idea my thick, Janis Joplin-like-hair would turn out to be one giant poofy disaster. Instead, I thought I would end up with sleek and straight hair.
After the horrifing trip to the hair salon, I became self conscious of my hair, and at school others took notice of it and would point at me and laugh.
I still had friends to go to, but it was the other kids words that hurt me.
Finally, I decided I'm not going to care what other people think, because that only brought me down even more. I became more self confident with myself. The other kids who used to stare and point and me finally stopped. I think they also realized that making fun of another was really childish.



I learned a lot from that whole experience. Although I wouldn't get my hair cut like that ever again. I'm really happy I did then. It taught me to not care what other people think of me because if I did, I would never be happy in life. I'm also happy because the hair that I cut was donated to Locks of Love. Locks of Love is a charity that makes wigs for people with cancer. Eventhough at the time I didn't like not fitting in, I got myself out of it. And in the end I became more confident.

4 comments:

Nicole H. said...

Hey, Shauna
I really like your story. I also donated my hair. I like how you learned not to care what other people think of you. I admire people who have because I think that it is a really hard thing to teach yourself. I myself am still in the process of learning that, but I'm making a little progress.

I'm not lost in the world. I'm just taking a detour. said...

We've all had times when people have made fun of us. It hurts at the time but if you don't dwell on it and overcome it then you become a better person because of your expericences. And my brother donates his hair as well.

Gena R. said...

Interesting, in a bad sort of way I guess, that the kids were making fun of you after you did something so kind for others. That seems to make their teasing even worse. It’s cool how the lessons you took from this will last so much longer than the actual incident did (even though I’m sure it felt like forever at the time).

Natalie H said...

I can relate! I had a hair disaster as well, except mine happened in 8th grade...bad memories haha. Anway I think its great that you used something like that to become more confidant. Great blog!